How To Get Rid Of Pink Eye With Home Remedies?
Honey has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties which combats the infectious agents. Honey also has soothing properties which relieves the symptoms and help get rid of pink eye.
You will need
- Honey 1/2teaspoon
- Distilled warm water 1/2cup
- Eye dropper
Combine honey in distilled warm water and stir well. Put the solution in the dropper and place 2 drops of it in each eye. Repeat the remedy several times a day until conjunctivitis clears.
Tomato juice is considered an absolutely great remedy for a pink eye. If concerned about its safety, tomato juice is completely safe to use for pink eye.
You will need
- Fresh tomato 1
- Cotton squares/cotton pads
Squeeze out the juice of a fresh tomato. Strain with the help of a coffee strainer. Now soak clean cotton squares/cotton pads in the juice. Place on closed eyelids for 10 minutes. You can also put a drop of tomato juice in each eye once daily until the symptoms of conjunctivitis clear.
Warm compress helps clear the oil glands, as well as soothes the symptoms of pink eye. Applying warm compress also helps improve blood flow to the area which bring relief instant relief from pain and discomfort.
You will need
- Salt 1 teaspoon
- Distilled hot water (but not burning hot) 1 glass
Add salt in a glass of distilled hot water and stir well. Soak a clean washcloth in the salt solution, as hot as bearable to skin without hurting, and wring out any excess. Now place the washcloths on closed eyelids with pressing a bit against the eyes. Follow the remedy twice or thrice a day until the pink eye clears. Remember to use a fresh washcloth each time.
Studies have shown that certain compounds found in fennel seeds work tremendously well in clearing the symptoms of pink eye.
You will need
- Fennel seeds 1 tablespoon
- Distilled water 1 cup
- Cotton balls
Add a cup of distilled water to a saucepan and let it boil. Add fennel seeds and bring it to a boil. Steep for 10 minutes. Strain and cool down the infusion to room temperature. Soak cotton balls in the infusion and place on closed eyelids for 10 minutes. You can also put a drop of the infusion in each eye. Follow the remedy once daily until conjunctivitis clears.
Reflexology is considered an effective way to ease and reduce the symptoms of a conjunctivitis. Certain pressure points on feet are thought to send energy to eyes which help relieve pink eye or conjunctivitis.
We are sharing some simple techniques one can use to relieve pink eye. With the thumb, firmly press the bottom, top and sides of the big toe, second toe, and third toe on each foot. Pay special attention on the toe base, the area around the toe where it connects to the foot.do this for 1-2 minutes and twice a day for -10 days.
Acupuncture, if used along with home remedies or medication help boost the power and heal the infection fast.
Get enough rest
When a virus takes hold of our body a lot of things are going, so much energy is needed to be diverted to the immune system. Our bodies are in a healing process and the immunity is much higher when we sleep. Strive to get as much sleep as possible, at least 8 hours a day, to heal your body and fight the viruses.
Consume licorice as Glycyrrhizin acid found in licorice, works great to counteract the virus that causes a pink eye. The anti-inflammatory properties of licorice aids in healing process and also helps to alleviate pain and discomfort.
Viral and allergic pink eye respond well to home remedies but bacterial conjunctivitis is the most severe type and needs medical attention. The home remedies discussed are only safe and effective for viral and allergic pink eye.
Tips to help get rid of pink eye
Besides the home remedies for pink eye certain lifestyle modification truly help to cure pink eye at home.
- Keep hands away from eyes.
- Use unscented tissues to wipe away any discharge.
- Don’t use any eye make as the products will get infected and you will get it again.
- Include foods rich in Vitamin A, B and C to strengthen the immune system. Foods rich in these vitamins include leafy green vegetables, cantaloupe, eggs, milk, strawberry, kiwi, grapefruit and orange.
- Keep well hydrated.
- Good hygiene is crucial to stop and prevent the infection. Wash hands meritoriously several times a day, and wash any towels, washcloths which come in contact with hot soapy water.
- Pink eye is extremely contagious. To avoid the spread of infection, do not share towels, washcloths or whatever comes in contact with any other person.
- Swimming pools are common places to get a pink eye due to chlorine and bacteria as well. Make sure to wear tight-fitting goggles while in the pool from spreading (if you already have) as well as getting conjunctivitis.
- Avoid excess heat, such as sunbath, hot baths and saunas during the course of the problem.
- Avoid direct sunlight and wear sunglasses when out in sun.
- It is also recommended to stay away from prolonged concentration required activities, such as, writing, reading, especially in dim light.
- Change eye makeup, such as mascara, liner and shadows, after every 6 months. Also avoid keeping makeup products in pockets, purse, or car as heat can kill the preservatives and the products may get infected by bacteria and other organisms.
- Change pillow case every night.
- Also prevent eyes from infection, dust, pollen, pollution and smoke to get rid of conjunctivitis fast.