Having a chiseled ripped core is an ultimate fitness goal universally. No matter how big or strong you are building a lean cut core is definitely a cool thing that we all want. Not only six pack abs looks super sexy but has a lot of benefits for the body too, like quality posture, lower risk of injury and diseases, and boost in energy and sports efficiency, that’s the reason why every fitness freak wants it damn bad.
It’s also a reality that to carve out a lean midsection is not that easy for everybody out there, especially women. Though men and women’s muscles aren’t that different but women tend to be wider through the pelvis and have a bit longer waist comparatively which makes it a little more difficult to get flat, firm abs.
Also Read: butt and gut 30 day plan
Also, when it comes to women like men, some have to work their butt off before they get that sexy abs, while others seem to get theirs quite effortlessly.
Regardless of which category you fit in, try out these simple and handpicked abs exercises that work on each abdominal muscle group and help you sculpt those steel abs that you’re proud of.
Combining these exercises along regular cardio workouts will speed up the process and you’ll get the desired results much more easily and fast.
How to perform each killer abs workout
The selected abs exercises mainly focuses on the internal and external core by performing different kind of crunches and planks targeting the obliques, upper, middle and lower abs. These exercises target the following four muscle group in the core:
- External abdominal obliques: These are a pair of broad, thin, superficial muscles in the sides beneath your arms, along ribcage. External abdominal oblique muscles are known for their lateral flexion and rotation of the trunk.
- Internal abdominal obliques: these are the stabilizing muscles that lie underneath your obliques. The function of internal obliques muscle is to allow you bend from side to side as well as twist your torso.
- Transverses abdominus: The most internal of all the core muscles in the body, it runs horizontally around your midsection. Main function of transverses abdominus muscle is to stabilize the pelvis and lower back prior to moving the body.
- Rectus abdominus: Muscles that run from sternum down to your pelvis. Main function of this muscle is to move the body between the ribcage and the pelvis. They’re also the most superficial muscles of all the abs muscles and the ones you see in “six-pack” abs.
Before you get started with this killer abs workout, warm up your body with a 10-minute cardio whether on the treadmill, static bike, jogging, or jumping jacks to burn every bit of belly fat. Also, drink plenty of water while exercising. Perform each exercise back-to-back without stopping, but if you feel too exhausted take a 30 second breather between each one before moving on to the next exercise.
Complete all of the exercises below to be considered one set. Perform four sets, resting for 45 seconds between each. Congrats! You nailed it.
Best Total Abs Exercises
Crossover crunch(15 sec)
Crossover crunch is super effective exercise that hit your abs from several angles at once.
- Lay down flat on your back. Bend your knees about 60 degrees.
- Keep your feet flat on the floor and place your hands loosely behind your head. Your head should be off the mattress.
- Now curl up and bring your right elbow and shoulder across your body while bring your left knee in toward your left shoulder at the same time. Reach with your elbow and try to touch your knee. Exhale as you perform this movement.
- Now go back down to the starting position as you inhale and repeat with the left elbow and the right knee. Continue alternating in this manner until all prescribed repetitions are done. As a variation you can also do all of your repetitions for one side and then switch to the other side.
Crunches are extremely effective for developing and strengthening muscles.
- Lay down on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor and hip-width apart.
- Place your hands behind your head so your thumbs are behind your ears.
- Hold your elbows out to the sides but rounded slightly in.
- Slightly tilt your chin, leaving a few inches of space between your chin and your chest.
- Gently pull your abdominal inward.
- Curl up and forward so that your head, neck, and shoulder blades lift off the floor.
- Hold for a moment at the top of the movement and then lower slowly back down.
Heel touch(15 reps on each side)
Heel touch is the ultimate exercise that works on upper abs, lower abs and obliques.
- Lay down with your back on the ground and your knees bent and pointed towards the ceiling and feet on the ground.
- With your arms on your side raise your shoulders slightly off the ground.
- Using your abs rotate your right hand down to your right foot and then back up.
- Then do the same thing with your left hand. Alternate back and forth for the desired amount of repetitions
Definitely a tough exercise as it will test your balance while strengthening your core. But you will lose those Spanx dramatically.
- Start in a seated position with your knees bent and feet off the floor. Your chest should be open and lifted.
- With your arms by your sides, slowly unfold from your seated v by simultaneously lowering your torso and legs toward the floor. Stop when your legs are around a 45-degree angle, or when you feel your lower back arch away from the floor. Be sure to keep your head and shoulders off the floor and your lower back pressed into the mat.
- With your core tight and tucked, use your abs to return to the starting position. Repeat for one minute. Keep your abs engaged as you perform this move, instead of relying on gravity; if it gets too difficult, you can also keep your knees bent as you lower down.
Plank (60 sec)
Though it’s pretty hard but plank targets so many muscle groups: it’s definitely a must to try to sculpt a sexy-flat stomach.
- Lay face down with legs extended and elbows bent and directly under shoulders. Clasp your hands together.
- Your feet should be hip-width apart and elbows should be shoulder-width apart.
- Squeezing your abs, lift your body weight onto your toes with forearms still on the floor; keep a nice straight line from top of the head to lower spine.
Plank Jack(60 sec)
A plank jack is definitely a best way to finish off your abs workout. It’ll hurt for sure but worth the pain as it really makes the core muscles pump.
- Maintain a high Plank with your palms flat on the floor, hands shoulder-width apart, and shoulders stacked directly above your wrists, legs extended behind you but add a jumping jack movement with the legs, while maintaining strong posture and alignment of your spine.
- Jump your feet out and in. Also, Avoid your butt and hips bounce up and down as you jump your feet in and out.
Hope you guys are excited to get perfect looking Abs! Do give us your feedback and don’t forget to these exercises with your loved ones. Keep visiting us and stay blessed.